The ruins of Lindores Abbey lie on the outskirts of the small town called Newburgh and very close to the river Tay. It’s known as the birthplace of whisky and it can be traced back to 1494. It is the oldest noted evidence of distilling.
Distilling was mostly used to produce perfume or alchemist substances. As the distilling business was not established in Scotland didn’t need a licence or have to pay taxes on the alcohol produced. For the documented history this was a bad thing as every farmer could just produce whisky without documenting it.
The earliest record of scotch whisky cited by the exchequer roll for 1494 is a commission from King James IV to Friar John Cor of Lindores Abbey to make about “eight bols of malt” or 580 kg of aquavitae as it was then known. Brother John Cor was a Tironensian monk based at Lindores Abbey.
In 2018 a distillation vat was discovered in the ruins, along with evidence of whisky production.