The monument is located on the Pest side of the Danube, south of the Hungarian Parliament and near the Hungarian Academy of Sciences between Roosevelt Square and Kossuth square.
Erected on April 16 2005, in Budapest, Hungary. Conceived by film director Can Togay, he created it on the east bank of the Danube River with sculptor Gyula Pauer.
“The composition titled ‘Shoes on the Danube Bank’ gives remembrance to the 3,500 people, 800 of them Jews, who were shot into the Danube during the time of the Arrow Cross terror.
They were ordered to take off their shoes, and were shot at the edge of the water so that their bodies fell into the river and were carried away.
The sculptor created sixty pairs of period-appropriate shoes out of iron. The shoes are attached to the stone embankment, and behind them lies a 40 meter long, 70 cm high stone bench. At three points are cast iron signs, with the following text in Hungarian, English, and Hebrew: “To the memory of the victims shot into the Danube by Arrow Cross militiamen in 1944–45. Erected 16 April 2005.”
Featured Image: Shoes on the Danube Bank / Image: memolands.com