A Lutheran church in the Töölö neighborhood. The church was designed by architects and brothers Timo and Tuomo Suomalainen and opened in 1969. Built directly into solid rock, it is also known as the Church of the Rock and Rock Church.

The copper dome roof of the church / Image source

The interior was excavated and built directly out of solid rock and is bathed in natural light which enters through the skylight surrounding the center copper dome.

The acoustic quality is created by the rough, virtually unworked rock surfaces. There are no bells at the church a recording of bells composed by Taneli Kuusisto is played via loudspeakers on the exterior wall.

Latest Posts

St. Lawrence’s Church – The elegant catholic church in Macau

Built by the Jesuits in the mid-16th century, this is one of the three oldest…

University of Macau – The next stage of modern higher education in Macau

The genesis of the university dates from 1981 when its predecessor, the private University of…

Musée océanographique de Monaco – The museum of marine sciences in Monaco

The museum was inaugurated in 1910 by modernist reformer of Monaco and oceanographer, Prince Albert…

Circuit de Monaco – The most demanding track in Formula One racing in Monaco

A street circuit laid out on the city streets of Monte Carlo and La Condamine…

St. Peter’s Square – One of the world’s largest and most beautiful squares in the Vatican City

A large plaza located directly in front of St. Peter’s Basilica in the Vatican City,…

St. Peter’s Basilica – The world’s largest church in the Vatican City

Designed principally by Donato Bramante, Michelangelo, Carlo Maderno and Gian Lorenzo Bernini, St. Peter’s is…

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Contact Us