The statue is located in the Mediterranean Sea, off San Fruttuoso, between Camogli and Portofino on the Italian Riviera.
The original bronze statue was placed in the Mediterranean Sea on 22 August 1954, at approximately 17 meters depth, and stands 2.5 meters tall. It was sculpted by Guido Galletti, based on an idea of Italian diving instructor Duilio Marcante. The statue was placed near the spot where Dario Gonzatti, the first Italian to use SCUBA gear (mode of underwater diving), died in 1947.
The submerged sculpture depicts Christ offering a benediction of peace, with his head and hands raised skyward.