The work of sculptor Yevgeny Vuchetich and engineer Nikolai Nikitin is an 85-meter figure of a woman stepping forward with a raised sword. The statue is an allegorical image of the Motherland, which calls on its sons and daughters to repulse the enemy and return to the attack.
The statue contains 5,500 tonnes of concrete and 2,400 tonnes of metal structures, the sword itself weighs 14 tonnes. The rigidity of the frame is supported by 99 metal cables constantly in tension.
The construction of the monument was started in May 1959 and completed on 15 October 1967. It was the tallest sculpture in the world at the time of creation.
Featured Image: The “Motherland Calls” in Volgograd