The unusual structure inaugurated on January 13, 2016 as a gift of her one hundred and sixty procession in the city, which has been held every January 14 since 1856.
The design corresponds to the architects Orlando Perdomo, Rafael Vargas and Jorge Rodríguez. At 62 meters high, it was conceived to be the largest monument dedicated to the Virgin Mary of Venezuela and the world at the time it is completed.
The structural design corresponded to engineers José Alfredo Morón and Ángel Delgado. The site chosen for the monument was a hill in the Veragacha, east of Barquisimeto, called “Colina del Viento”.