Sections were first built by the Killke culture about 1100 they had occupied the area since 900. The complex was expanded and added to by the Inca from the 13th century. The workers carefully cut the boulders to fit them together tightly without mortar.
The stones were shaped into their final form at the building site and then laid in place. The work, while supervised by Inca architects, was largely carried out by groups of individuals fulfilling their labor obligations to the state. Village or ethnic group provided a certain number of individuals to participate in such public works projects.