Muhammad Iqbal lived there for three years, and died there. It was listed as a Tentative UNESCO site, and was protected under the Punjab Antiquities Act of 1975, and declared a Pakistani national monument in 1977. In honor of Iqbal, a Pakistani national poet, it was converted into a museum, inaugurated in December 1984.
The building’s construction was undertaken by Iqbal, to serve as his residence. The building was European in style and was completed in 1935. The site was built on a plot purchased by Iqbal in 1934. Iqbal named the residence “Javed Manzil” after his son Javid Iqbal. On 10 May 1961 the Government of Pakistan announced plans to convert the site into a museum to preserve Iqbal’s belongings and the display of his famous works and manuscripts.
The museum covers the historical period from 1877 to 1938, and contains handwritten drafts of Iqbal’s works, photographs, certificates, awards and medals and educational degrees. Javid Iqbal also donated six hundred objects belonging to his father to the museum. There is also a library and nine galleries in the museum. The museum was renovated and was inaugurated in December 1984 by Pakistani President Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq.