Sea harbor built in 1923–24, it served as the mineral production hub of Masua in the west coast of the Sardinian Iglesiente area. It is named after Flavia Vecelli, the daughter of Cesare Vecelli, who engineered and designed the harbor. The harbor’s characteristics make it unique in the world, and at the time of its construction it was an outstanding engineering feat.

Porto Flavia is a sea harbor located in the Iglesias comune of Italy

A special crew of miners expert in explosives and rock climbing was assembled. They worked in shifts, day and night, to complete the excavations in record time. Because the tunnel was without angles or trenches, the usual technique for dynamite-drilling was impossible. Instead, small cavities were excavated at regular distances to allow the workers to gain cover after igniting explosives. They are still visible in the guided tour.

Construction took only two years, a remarkably short period of time for a work of that size. The ends of the tunnels facing the sea were adorned with concrete towers and decorative nameplates. They were not necessary to the operation, but were asked to be constructed by the owner of the company as a mark of prestige.

Porto-Flavia-Sardegna-Italia-2
Porto Flavia is a service infrastructure in the mining area of Masua, which is no longer in operation

Featured Image: Porto Flavia / Image: via getyourguide.com

Websites: visitiglesias.comune.iglesias.ca.it



Latest Posts

Parthenon – The symbol of ancient Greece and one of the world’s greatest cultural monuments in Athens

The greatest sanctuary of ancient Athens, dedicated primarily to its patron, the goddess Athena, dominates…

Bolas de piedra – The stone spheres of the Diquís in Palmar Sur

They are the best known stone sculptures of the Isthmo-Colombian area. The spheres are an…

Apollo 1 – The Site Of A Mission That Never Flew To Cape Canaveral

AS-204, was the first crewed mission of the United States Apollo program, the undertaking to…

Close Encounters of the Third Kind – The alien Mother Ship is being exhibited in Chantilly

This is the model of the Mother Ship used in the filming of the movie…

Fantasy World – The “abandoned” theme park in Lemery

The theme park, built in 2001, it was once owned by a businessman who was…

Chocolate chip cookie – The birthplace of the sweet delicacy in Whitman

In 1930, Ruth Wakefield and her husband bought a tourist lodge. When the couple opened…

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Contact Us