The island has several buildings, the main one being the pilgrimage church dedicated to the Assumption of Mary, built in its current form near the end of the 17th century. The first brick built church on the island was consecrated in 1142 by the Aquileia patriarch Pellegrino.
The church was rebuilt in Gothic style in the 15th century the renovated church was consecrated in 1465 by the first Ljubljana bishop, Count Žiga Lamberg. It was damaged in 1509 by an earthquake; therefore it was thoroughly renovated in early Baroque style. From former Gothic church are preserved only frescoes in the presbytery and wooden statue of Mother Divine, which probably adorned the main altar.
The bell tower was built in the 15th century, but because of the heavy damage in both earthquakes and a lightning strike in 1688, the tower was renovated several times. The current bell tower is 54 meters high and has three bells made by Samasso and Franchi, bell makers from Ljubljana.