The name Rēgistan means “sandy place” or “desert” in Persian. The Registan was a public square, where people gathered to hear royal proclamations and a place of public executions. It is framed by three Islamic schools of distinctive Islamic architecture. The Ulugh Beg Madrasah (1417–1420), the Tilya-Kori Madrasah (1646–1660) and the Sher-Dor Madrasah (1619–1636).
The Ulugh Beg Madrasah, built by Ulugh Beg during the Timurid Empire era of Timur—Tamerlane. Originally was a two-storied building with four lecture rooms at the corners. The Ulugh Beg Madrasah was one of the best clergy universities of the Muslim Orient in the 15th Century CE.
Tilya-Kori Madrasah was built ten years later. It was not only a residential college for students, but also played the role of grand mosque.
The Sher-Dor-Madrasa is an Islamic school. The ruler Samarkands Yalangtush Bakhodur had the Sher-Dor-Madrasa and the Tilya-Kori-Madrasa built on Registan Square in the 17th century. Sher-Dor means containing tigers. It was constructed by the architect Abdujabor.
To the east of the Tilya-Kori Madrasah, the mausoleum of Shaybanids. The ancient trading dome Chorsu is situated right behind the Sher-Dor. Chorsu, is a domed, hexagonal building southeast of the Registan at the intersection of the roads connecting Samarkand, Tashkent, Bukhara, and Shahrisabz. Chorsu is a word of Persian origin meaning “crossroads,” referring to this intersection.
Featured Image: Registan Square, Samarkand in Uzbekistan / Image: hunkartravel.com