At the beginning of the 13th century, a wooden castle of the Liv king Kaupo was located on the Turaida castle mound before the construction of the stone castle. Two years after its burning, in 1214, the first masonry fortification was built – the Frederellian castle.
Construction of the castle was started upon directions given by Albert, Archbishop of Riga to his Livonian Brothers of the Sword at the place where the wooden castle of Liv had previously stood.
The castle was constructed largely in the classic red-brick construction. Improving the castle’s defensive system continued in later centuries, and in the 14th century, the tower shaped southern section was built, at the beginning of the 15th century, when firearms were invented, the semi rounded western tower was built. After a fire in 1776 it was abandoned and gradually became ruinous.
From 1976 regular archaeological excavations were carried out which were followed by restoration and conservation works revealing the castle’s earlier state.