The monument was created by Carl Ludwig Engel in 1835 and commemorates the first visit of Empress Alexandra Feodorovna to Helsinki in the summer of 1833. Finland was then part of the Russian Empire.
The memorial is designed as an obelisk and was erected on the site where the Czarina had landed in Helsinki. The obelisk is made of red granite. He is crowned by a bronze globe on which a two-headed Russian eagle is enthroned. There is a Finnish coat of arms on the eagle’s chest.
The memorial was inaugurated on December, 1835. On April 17, 1917, revolutionary Russian soldiers destroyed the obelisk tower. It was repaired again in 1971 and restored in 2000.