The monument was built in memory of the Great Famine in Ireland from 1845 to 1852 and other famines, with over a million deaths. It was created by Rowan Gillespie in bronze and built in 1997.
The monument is located near the harbor on the Custom House quay, on the banks of the Liffey. Many of those affected were forced to emigrate to the United States in the 19th century. One of the first groups of these emigrants left St. Patrick’s Day in 1846 with the four-master Perseverance under Captain William Scott from the Custom House quay. All 210 passengers survived the trip and arrived in New York on May 18, 1846.