Originally built in 1784, this was Macao’s first municipal chamber. After the handover of Macau to China in 1999 it became the headquarters of the Civic and Municipal Affairs Bureau. The name “Leal Senado”, derives from the title “City of Our Name of God Macao, There is None More Loyal” which was bestowed by Portuguese King D. John IV in 1654. It became part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site Historic Centre of Macau in 2005.
The “Leal Senado” Building is neo-classical in design and has retained all its original master walls and primary layout. The main façade is 14.5 meters high and 44 meters wide and is divided into three sections by vertical granite projections. Inside the building on the first floor there is a ceremonial meeting room that opens onto an elaborate carved library styled after the library of Mafra Convent in Portugal, and a small chapel.