One of the largest castles in Europe and figures in a list of the Seven Wonders of Romania. Built in a Renaissance-Gothic style and constructed over the site of an older fortification on a rock above the smaller Zlaști River.
Ioan de Hunedoara initiates, after 1440, large-scale constructions aiming at transforming the fortress into a castle. The first stage of building the castle ends before 1446, when Ioan de Hunedoara became the governor of the Kingdom of Hungary.
Research prior to the First World War showed that in the northern area there were two triangular rooms, one of which was probably a keep tower, with analogies in the French and German area of the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries.
The castle is a large and imposing structure with tall towers, bastions, an inner courtyard, diversely colored roofs, and myriads of windows and balconies adorned with stone carvings. The castle also features a double wall for enhanced fortification and is flanked by both rectangular and circular towers, an architectural innovation for the period’s Transylvanian architecture.