The seventh lion, is by far MGM’s longest-used lion, having appeared on most MGM films since 1957. Leo was born in Dublin Zoo. He was also the youngest at the time MGM filmed him roaring, hence his much smaller mane.
Leo was purchased from famous animal dealer Henry Trefflich, and trained by Ralph Helfer. In addition to being used as the MGM lion, Leo also appeared in other productions.
Two different versions of this logo were used: an “extended” version, with the lion roaring three times, used from 1957–1960 and the “standard” version, with the lion roaring twice, used since 1960.
Featured Image: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer / Image: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc.