Built in 1874, this building was constructed to accommodate an Indian regiment from Goa appointed to reinforce Macao’s police force. Now it serves as the headquarters of the Marine and Water Bureau.
The barracks is built with bricks and neo-classical structure. It has Mughal architecture (type of Indo-Islamic architecture) with 67.5 meters length and 37 meters width. The rear side of the building consists of two stories and the other part of the building consists of one story. The exterior of the building is painted in yellow and white.
In 2005, the barracks became of the designated historical sites of the Historic Centre of Macau, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.