A monastery of the Serbian Orthodox Church is dedicated to Saint Basil of Ostrog, who was buried here. It was founded by Vasilije, the Metropolitan Bishop of Herzegovina in the 17th century. He died there in 1671 and some years later he was glorified. His body is enshrined in a reliquary kept in the cave-church dedicated to the Presentation of the Mother of God to the Temple.
The two little cave-churches are the key areas of the monument. The frescoes in the Church of the Presentation were created towards the end of the 17th century. The other church, dedicated to the Holy Cross, is placed within a cave on the upper level of the monastery. Around the church are the monastic residences, which together with the church building and the scenery make this monument outstandingly beautiful.