Established by the first Bishop of Macao, Belchior Carneiro Leitão, in 1569. this institution was modelled after one of the most prominent and oldest charitable organizations in Portugal.
It was a medical clinic and several other social welfare structures in early Macau. It later served as an orphanage and refuge for widows of sailors lost at sea.
The Holy House of Mercy features a richly decorative arcaded façade which occupies a prominent position on Senado Square. The building is neo-classical in the overall architectural treatment, but also depicts traces of mannerist influence.
It is part of the Historic Centre of Macau, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.