It is situated on Calton Hill overlooking the city and was designed by Scottish architect William Henry Playfair. The structure was completed in September 1831.
A memorial to the Scottish philosopher Dugald Stewart. Stewart was a professor at the University of Edinburgh, holding the chair of moral philosophy from 1786 until he died in 1828. The Royal Society of Edinburgh commissioned the monument and selected its site in 1830.
Playfair’s design is based on the Choragic Monument of Lysicrates in Athens, Greece, and is a circular temple of nine fluted Corinthian columns around an elevated urn, on a circular podium.