The battle was fought on Sunday, 18 June 1815. The Battle of Waterloo, in which Napoleon’s forces were defeated by the British and Prussians, marked the end of his reign and of France’s domination in Europe.
When Napoleon returned to power in 1815, various countries opposed his comeback. After that, the Seventh Coalition was formed and armies began to mobilize. Two large forces assembled near the Northeastern border of France under the command of Blucher and Wellington. Napoleon planned to attack these forces before they would be able to unite with the other members of the Coalition to coordinate the invasion of France.
Until noon of June 18, 1815, Napoleon delayed granting of the battle to let the ground get dry. The army of Wellington had positioned across the Brussels Road along the Mont St Jean escarpment. Repeated attacks by French take place along the road until evening but the army remained standing. The army of Prussians arrived in full force and eventually broke through the right border of Napoleon. During the breakage of the Prussians army towards Napoleon’s border, the British made a counter-attack, which drove the French army in chaos from the field.
The battlefield is located in the Belgian municipalities of Braine-l’Alleud and Lasne, about 15 kilometers south of Brussels, and about 2 kilometers from the town of Waterloo. The site of the battlefield today is dominated by the monument of the Lion’s Mound, a large artificial hill constructed from earth taken from the battlefield itself, the topography of the battlefield near the mound has not been preserved.