It was built between 1934 and 1936 at the initiative of the French apostolic vicar Joanny Thévenoud, of the missionary congregation of the White Fathers, its architecture is inspired by both traditional West African constructions and European Romanesque architecture. It is dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Entirely built of mud brick, or mud, the cathedral is based on a vast basilica plan with three vessels. Nave and aisles are lit by a series of Roman-inspired semi-circular oculi and twin bays. The façade incorporates a triple portal framed by two massive unfinished towers of different height.
Behind the church, is an altar dedicated to Mary, Ave Maria, with a statue of the Virgin in a carved stone arch.