A late-nineteenth century building located in front of the Independence Square. The building originally housed the offices of the British colonial administration, and was known simply as Government Offices in its early years. In 1974 it was renamed after Sultan Abdul Samad.
The building was originally designed by A.C. Norman and his assistant R. A. J. Bidwell in a Classical Renaissance style. The construction of the building began in September 1894 and was completed in 1897. The foundation stone was laid on 6 October 1894 by the Governor of the Straits Settlements, Sir Charles Mitchell.
The building sits on an area of 1.035 hectares, with the floor of the building occupying an area of 4,210 square metres. The construction used 4 million bricks, 2,500 barrels of cement, 18,000 pikuls of lime, 5,000 lbs of copper, 50 tons of steel and iron, and about 30,000 cubic feet of timber.
The 41-metre clock tower chimed for the first time to coincide with Queen Victoria’s Jubilee Parade in June 1897 and has chimed since.
Featured Image: Sultan Abdul Samad Building / Image: unknown, via visionkl.com