The provincial cathedral of the Church of Uganda and the diocesan cathedral for Namirembe Diocese, the first diocese to be founded in the Church of Uganda province, in 1890. Namirembe Hill has been the location of the main Anglican place of worship in Buganda since Bishop Alfred Tucker established the offices of the Diocese of Eastern Equatorial Africa.
The first church building, was abandoned in 1891 because it was located in a swampy area. The second church building was constructed between July 1891 and July 1892. In October 1894, strong winds during a thunderstorm blew the roof off the church and it was ruined. The third church building was built between 1894 and 1895. That building, constructed with traditional African materials, was abandoned in the early 1900s due to fear that termites would destroy it. The fourth church building was constructed with earthen brick walls and a thatched roof, between 1900 and 1904. On September 1910, the roof was gutted by a fire which started when lightning struck the building. Within less than thirty minutes, the entire roof was destroyed and the church was ruined.
The current St. Paul’s Cathedral was constructed between 1915 and 1919 using earthen bricks and earthen roof tiles. The cathedral is still standing.