An Eastern Orthodox monastery is named after Catherine of Alexandria. The monastery is controlled by the autonomous Church of Sinai, part of the wider Greek Orthodox Church.

Built between 548 and 565, the monastery is one of the oldest working Christian monasteries in the world. The site contains the world’s oldest continually operating library, possessing many unique books.

The monastery library preserves the second largest collection of early codices and manuscripts in the world, outnumbered only by the Vatican Library. It contains Greek, Christian Palestinian Aramaic, Syriac, Georgian, Coptic, Arabic, Ethiopic, Hebrew, Armenian, and Caucasian Albanian texts.

The monastery was built by order of Emperor Justinian I. Structurally the monastery’s king post truss is the oldest known surviving roof truss in the world. The monastery is still surrounded by the massive fortifications that have preserved it. Until the twentieth century, access was through a door high in the outer walls. From the time of the First Crusade, the presence of Crusaders in the Sinai until 1270 spurred the interest of European Christians and increased the number of intrepid pilgrims who visited the monastery.

In May 1844 and February 1859, Constantin von Tischendorf (world-leading biblical scholar) visited the monastery for research and discovered the Codex Sinaiticus, dating from the 4th Century, at the time the oldest almost completely preserved manuscript of the Bible.


Featured Image: Saint Catherine’s Monastery or “Sacred Monastery of the God-Trodden Mount Sinai” / Image: via grandbluetours.com

Websites: sinaimonastery.com



Latest Posts

The Merchandise Mart – The giant two-block building in Chicago

The commercial building was opened in 1930, it was the largest building in the world,…

Estudios San Miguel – The Argentine film studio of the golden age in Buenos Aires

Miguel Machinandiarena founded the company in 1937 with his brothers Narciso and Silvestre and began…

The Bluesmobile – The former patrol car falls apart in Chicago

The Dodge Monaco sedan 1974 that was prominently featured in the 1980 Universal Pictures film…

Monument of Zalongo – The memorial of the sacrifice of Greek women in Zalongo

A 1961 monumental sculpture by George Zongolopoulos, commemorating the Dance of Zalongo. It is located…

The Creation of Adam – The first man and God reaching toward one another in the Vatican City

The fresco is part of a complex iconographic scheme and is chronologically the fourth in…

Adolphe Sax – The birthplace of father of the saxophone in Dinant

Belgian inventor and musician was born on 6 November 1814, in the street that has…

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Contact Us