The castle’s site, like today’s city, has been inhabited for thousands of years, because it is strategically located in the center of Europe at an important ford used to cross the Danube river, and at an important crossing of central European ancient trade routes running from the Balkans or the Adriatic Sea to the Rhine river or the Baltic Sea, the most important route being the Amber Route.

The Castle stands on an isolated rocky hill of the Little Carpathians directly above the Danube river in the middle of Bratislava / Image: memolands.com

During the Great Moravian Empire, Slavs built a fortress that became a significant center for the time. In the 10th century, Bratislava became an integral part of the growing Hungarian state, a stone palace and the church of St Saviour and its chapter were built on the castle hill in the 11th century. In the 15th century, in the reign of Sigismund of Luxembourg, a castle was built in Gothic style as an anti-Hussite fortress. During this period, a new entrance to the castle was built on the eastern side – Sigismund’s Gate – while 7-metre-thick fortifications were constructed on the western side, and a castle well dug in 1437.

In the 16th century, King Ferdinand ordered the rebuilding of the castle in the Renaissance style, while in the 17th century, when the castle became the seat of hereditary provincial chief, Pálffy, it was rebuilt in the baroque style. In the reign of Maria Theresa, the castle was arranged according to the needs of her son-in-law Albert, governor of Saxony and Tessen.

The massive rectangular building with corner towers / Image: memolands.com

The castle building includes four towers and a courtyard with a 80 meter deep water well. The largest and tallest tower is the Crown Tower on the southwest corner. The 46.93 meter tower dates from the 13th century and for approximately 200 years beginning in the mid-1500s housed the crown jewels of Hungary. The exterior walls and inside corridors contain fragments of old Gothic and Renaissance construction elements. The walled-up entrance gate from the 16th century is still visible.

Since independence, the castle has served as a representative venue for the Slovak Parliament and houses collections of the Slovak National Museum.

Gardens of Bratislava Castle / Image: memolands.com
Bratislava Castle interior side/ Image: memolands.com

Latest Posts

St. Lawrence’s Church – The elegant catholic church in Macau

Built by the Jesuits in the mid-16th century, this is one of the three oldest…

University of Macau – The next stage of modern higher education in Macau

The genesis of the university dates from 1981 when its predecessor, the private University of…

Musée océanographique de Monaco – The museum of marine sciences in Monaco

The museum was inaugurated in 1910 by modernist reformer of Monaco and oceanographer, Prince Albert…

Circuit de Monaco – The most demanding track in Formula One racing in Monaco

A street circuit laid out on the city streets of Monte Carlo and La Condamine…

St. Peter’s Square – One of the world’s largest and most beautiful squares in the Vatican City

A large plaza located directly in front of St. Peter’s Basilica in the Vatican City,…

St. Peter’s Basilica – The world’s largest church in the Vatican City

Designed principally by Donato Bramante, Michelangelo, Carlo Maderno and Gian Lorenzo Bernini, St. Peter’s is…

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Contact Us