The room is preserved in the basement of the Royal Institution where Michael Faraday made his fundamental discoveries of the magneto-optical effect and of diamagnetism.
It was a servants hall, which Faraday later used to store his experiments. By 1819 it was used as an apparatus store and sometime in the 1820s Faraday took it over for his own research. The room is set under the main part of the building and has little natural light, which made it perfectly suited to experiments looking at beams of light.
The modern arrangement of the room is based on a painting of it from the 1850s by Faraday’s friend Harriet Moore. All the objects displayed here, with the exception of the oil lamp, were used by Faraday and include some of his major discoveries and key apparatus such as the electric motor, homopolar generator and the giant electromagnet he used in his diamagnetic research.
Featured Image: Michael Faraday in his laboratory at the Royal Institution / Image: via wikipedia.org