The castle-palace, was built in 1905-1910 as a residence of the last German emperor, Wilhelm II. The building was designed by Franz Heinrich Schwechten, who gave the imperial residence the appearance of a medieval castle. The new residence was intended to reflect the control over Greater Poland by the Kingdom of Prussia and the German Empire.
The main building located in the southern part of the complex has two wings: the western — the larger one — consisting of apartments, and the eastern with representative rooms. On the first floor were the apartments of the Emperor and his wife. The most impressive room was the Throne Room in Byzantine style. The room was lighted by huge windows from three sides, positioned between the columns and the arches. Eight statues of Holy Roman Emperors were placed under the arches. The throne, designed in an oriental style, was situated under the middle arch.
These two wings of the main building surround a rose garden that includes a fountain modeled on the Fountain of the Lions in the Court of the Lions in the Alhambra, in Granada, Spain.
In 1919 the Castle went into Polish hands, more precisely, into the state ownership of the 2nd Republic. Wilhelm’s apartments became one of the official residences of the head of state. In late autumn 1939, after Nazi troops had entered Poznan, a decision was taken to embark on a total conversion of the castle into a Hitler’s residence. The works continued almost until the end of the war. In early February, 1945, the Castle is taken by the Red Army.
In the recent years the former residence underwent comprehensive restoration work. The large-scale conversion of the former official interiors was completed in 2012. As a result, the Grand Hall, the Grand Hallway and the Grand Hall Foyer were completely refurbished, assuming a totally new appearance.