1999 UEFA Champions League Final – Manchester United’s three minutes of magic in Barcelona

An association football match between Manchester United and Bayern Munich, played at Camp Nou stadium, on 26 May 1999, to determine the winner of the 1998–99 UEFA Champions League.

Bayern made a fantastic start. Johnsen brought down Carsten Jancker on the edge of the United box, and Mario Basler curled a low free-kick around the wall to open the scoring after just six minutes.

Camp Nou hosted the 1999 UEFA Champions League Final between Manchester United and Bayern Munich / Image: memolands.com

United never got going in the game, and survived two scares late in the second half, with Bayern twice hitting the crossbar. Bayern coach Ottmar Hitzfeld substituted defender Lothar Matthaus in an attempt to close the game out. At 90 minutes, United were still trailing as the fourth official announced there would be three minutes of stoppage time. Manchester United had 180 seconds to keep the game alive.

Ferguson’s team won a corner, goalkeeper Schmeichel raced up to the Bayern penalty area in desperation. Beckham swung a corner in from the left, Schmeichel jumped for a header and the ball dropped to Giggs, who hit it back toward goal with his shin. The ball was going wide until Sheringham connected, diverting it into the bottom corner to make it 1-1.

Teddy Sheringham after scoring in injury time

The game restarted, and within a minute, United had another corner. This time, Schmeichel stayed back to safeguard against a Bayern counter-attack. Beckham swung it in from the left again, Sheringham headed it on at the near post, and, lurking at the far post, Solskjaer stuck out his right foot and sent the ball into the roof of the net.

Injury time goals from Manchester United’s Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjær cancelled out Mario Basler’s early goal to give Manchester United a 2–1 win.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Contact Us