The chapel, founded in the first centuries of Christianity on the tomb of the patron saint of the Principality, Saint Devota. It was first mentioned in 1070, built on the wall of the Vallon des Gaumates. Restored and enlarged by Prince Charles III, it was solemnly inaugurated again in 1871 and became a parish church in 1887.
The stained glass windows were made by Nicolas Lorin of Chartres. The glass windows were destroyed during the bombing of Monaco during World War II and were restored by Fassi Cadet in Nice in 1948.