The resort begun as a small boarding house in 1879, the hotel expanded and became one of the city’s premier resorts. As Atlantic City began to decline in its popularity as a resort town, during the 1950s and 1960s, the Traymore diminished in popularity. By the early 1970s the hotel was abandoned and severely run down. It was imploded and demolished in 1972. Most of the Traymore site remains a parking lot.
The Hotel Traymore renovated and expanded in 1914–15 by the Philadelphia architect William L. Price and his partner M. Hawley McLanahan. The great resort hotel with over 450 rooms, was an important antecedent for Art Deco buildings of the 1920s and 1930s. It was an early example of the structural use of reinforced concrete, a technological achievement that enabled the hotel’s impressive size and paved the way for the massive skyscrapers of the Art Deco period.