A Neoclassical campanile rising to a height of 75 meters over the waters of the Uglich Reservoir on the Volga River. The steeple was built in 1796—1800 as part of the five-domed Cathedral of Saint Nicholas, dating from 1694. The building except the bell tower were dismantled in 1939.

Flooded Belfry, a part of the Monastery of St. Nicholas / Image source 

When Joseph Stalin moved to modernize the USSR in the late 1930s, ordered the construction of the Uglich Dam, the old parts of Kalyazin, including several medieval structures, were submerged under the reservoir’s waters.

Latest Posts

St. Lawrence’s Church – The elegant catholic church in Macau

Built by the Jesuits in the mid-16th century, this is one of the three oldest…

University of Macau – The next stage of modern higher education in Macau

The genesis of the university dates from 1981 when its predecessor, the private University of…

Musée océanographique de Monaco – The museum of marine sciences in Monaco

The museum was inaugurated in 1910 by modernist reformer of Monaco and oceanographer, Prince Albert…

Circuit de Monaco – The most demanding track in Formula One racing in Monaco

A street circuit laid out on the city streets of Monte Carlo and La Condamine…

St. Peter’s Square – One of the world’s largest and most beautiful squares in the Vatican City

A large plaza located directly in front of St. Peter’s Basilica in the Vatican City,…

St. Peter’s Basilica – The world’s largest church in the Vatican City

Designed principally by Donato Bramante, Michelangelo, Carlo Maderno and Gian Lorenzo Bernini, St. Peter’s is…

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Contact Us