The seat of the National Assembly of Hungary, a notable landmark of Hungary. It is situated on Kossuth Square in the Pest side of the city, on the eastern bank of the Danube. It was designed by Hungarian architect Imre Steindl in neo-Gothic style and opened in 1902.
The Parliament Building is built in the Gothic Revival style. It has a symmetrical façade and a central dome. The dome is Renaissance Revival architecture. The parliament is also largely symmetrical from the inside, with two identical parliament halls on the opposing sides of the building. One of the famous parts of the building is the hexadecagonal central hall, with huge chambers adjoining it: the Lower House and the Upper House.
The main façade overlooks the River Danube, but the official main entrance is from the square on the east side of the building. Inside and outside, there are altogether 242 sculptures on the walls. The façade displays statues of Hungarian rulers, Transylvanian leaders, and famous military figures.
It is 268 meters long and 123 meters wide. Its interior includes 10 courtyards, 13 passengers and freight elevators, 27 gates, 29 staircases and 690 rooms. With its height of 96 meters, it is one of the two tallest buildings in Budapest, along with Saint Stephen’s Basilica. The number 96 refers to the nation’s millennium, 1896, and the conquest of the later Kingdom of Hungary in 896.
The Holy Crown of Hungary, which is also depicted in the coat of arms of Hungary, has been displayed in the central hall.