The official residence of the Wadiyar dynasty and the seat of the Kingdom of Mysuru. The land on which the palace now stands was originally known as puragiri, and is now known as the Old Fort.
Yaduraya built the first palace inside the Old Fort in the 14th century, which was demolished and constructed multiple times. The current structure was constructed between 1897 and 1912, after the Old Palace was burnt ablaze. The royal family, Maharaja Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV and his mother Maharani Kempananjammanni Devi, commissioned the British architect Henry Irwin to build a new palace.
It is a three-story stone structure with marble domes, and has a 44 meter five-story tower. The palace is surrounded by a large garden. The entrance gate and arch hold the emblem and coat of arms of the kingdom of Mysuru. The main complex is 75 meter in length and 48 meter in width. The palace has three entrances.
The three-story stone building of fine grey granite with deep pink marble domes has a façade with several expansive arches and two smaller ones flanking the central arch, which is supported by tall pillars. Above the central arch is a sculpture of Gajalakshmi, the Goddess of wealth, prosperity, fortune, and abundance with her elephants. There are three major exclusive temple buildings within the Old Fort, and about 18 inside the palace heart building.