The statue, designed by sculptor Elguja Amashukeli and erected on the top of Sololaki hill in 1958, the year Tbilisi celebrated its 1500th anniversary.
The 20 meters tall aluminum statue, wearing Georgian national dress and holding a cup of wine in one hand and a sword in the other has been called the monumental “Mother of Georgia”.
The original statue erected on Sololaki Hill in 1958 was a wooden allegorical statue that would temporarily decorate the capital. Later it was decided to become permanent and the wood texture was covered with aluminum in 1963 to limit environmental damage. In 1997, the old statue was replaced with a new one.