A total of 680 graves and 150 stone ships have been found on the site. North of the burial site was a village where remains of houses, fences and wells have been discovered.
The area was severely troubled by sand drift, and around the year 1000, the sand completely covered the burial site, thereby preserving the stone circles as well as a freshly ploughed field.
The southern part of Lindholm Høje dates to 1000 – 1050 AD, the Viking Age, while the northern part is significantly earlier, dating back to the 5th century AD in the Nordic Iron Age. An unknown number of rocks has been removed from the site over the centuries, many, for example, being broken up in the 19th century for use in road constructions.
The Viking Age part of the burial ground has suffered more from this than the older parts. The first major archaeological excavation, which ultimately included 589 of the approximately 700 graves, began in 1952, although excavations had been conducted as early as 1889.