The museum is named after two popes. Clement XIV, who founded the museum, and Pius VI, the Pope who completed the museum.
Pope Clement XIV founded the Pio-Clementino Museum in 1771 and originally contained Renaissance works and antiques. The museum and collection were expanded by Clement’s successor, Pius.
The museum houses works of Greek and Roman sculpture. The purple sarcophagi of Constantia and St. Helen, daughter and mother of Constantine the Great. Also impressive ancient mosaics on the floor, ancient statues, ancient busts, masks of ancient theaters and many other exhibits.