The museum is named after two popes. Clement XIV, who founded the museum, and Pius VI, the Pope who completed the museum.

Pope Clement XIV founded the Pio-Clementino Museum in 1771 and originally contained Renaissance works and antiques. The museum and collection were expanded by Clement’s successor, Pius.

The museum houses works of Greek and Roman sculpture. The purple sarcophagi of Constantia and St. Helen, daughter and mother of Constantine the Great. Also impressive ancient mosaics on the floor, ancient statues, ancient busts, masks of ancient theaters and many other exhibits.

The Sarcophagus of Helena in the Sala a Croce Greca of the Pio-Clementine Vatican Museum / Image source

Latest Posts

St. Lawrence’s Church – The elegant catholic church in Macau

Built by the Jesuits in the mid-16th century, this is one of the three oldest…

University of Macau – The next stage of modern higher education in Macau

The genesis of the university dates from 1981 when its predecessor, the private University of…

Musée océanographique de Monaco – The museum of marine sciences in Monaco

The museum was inaugurated in 1910 by modernist reformer of Monaco and oceanographer, Prince Albert…

Circuit de Monaco – The most demanding track in Formula One racing in Monaco

A street circuit laid out on the city streets of Monte Carlo and La Condamine…

St. Peter’s Square – One of the world’s largest and most beautiful squares in the Vatican City

A large plaza located directly in front of St. Peter’s Basilica in the Vatican City,…

St. Peter’s Basilica – The world’s largest church in the Vatican City

Designed principally by Donato Bramante, Michelangelo, Carlo Maderno and Gian Lorenzo Bernini, St. Peter’s is…

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Contact Us