Built by the Jesuits in the mid-16th century, this is one of the three oldest churches in Macao. Its present appearance and scale was acquired in 1846. Families of Portuguese sailors used to gather on the front steps of the church to pray and wait for their return.
The church of St. Lawrence is a neoclassical structure with two square towers, each about 21 meters high. The central part of the main façade is characterized by a gable interrupted in the middle by an oval emblem. The floor plan of the church is in the shape of a Latin cross, measuring 37 meters and 29 meters.