It was erected in 1828 to commemorate the victory of the British East India Company forces against the Marathons in 1804 and the victory of the East Indian Armed Forces over the Gurkhas in the Anglo-Nepalese War. The monument was designed by J. P. Parker.
In the 1970s it was redefined in memory of the martyrs of the Indian freedom movement and renamed “Minhar Sindad”, which means “monument of martyrs”.
The tower is 48 meters high. It has a foundation based on the Egyptian style. The column is a combination of style with a classic glued column, upper part and dome. It has two balconies at the top. The minaret has about 220 steps to the top.