Wallblake House – The only surviving plantation house on the island in The Valley

A heritage building, built in 1787 by Will Blake, a sugar grower. In the 1800s, when Anguilla experienced severe drought, the estate resorted to raising economic crops such as sugar and cotton over an area of 97 acres of plantation, but with little success.

Wallblake House is a heritage plantation house and museum annex in Anguilla, a British overseas territory in the Caribbean / Image source

It was burnt down in the 1796 French invasion but rebuilt by the British and today has been fully restored. In 1959, Mary Ray Lake, the sole heiress of the Wallblake Estate, donated the house and property to the Roman Catholic Church which continues to own it till this day and it is the center of the Anguilla Heritage trail. The original plantation main and outbuildings were restored in 2004 with funds from the newly formed Wallblake House Trust.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Contact Us