This three-storey majestic structure was built around 1834, on a small part of the Diamond Estate in a sugar cane area. In 1828 it was owned by Sir James Henry Blake, son of a landowner.
In 1837, Sir Henry Blake sold the twenty-five acre lot to Thomas Harper who renamed it Springfield and built a house on it. Because the latter ran into debt, the property passed into the hands of Robert Sharry Harper trustee under the marriage settlement of Mary Sharry Harper nee Amory.
The house was sold again in 1848 and was first used for public purposes and later as the residence of successive Rectors until 1874. In 1946, after much repair, Sir Frederick Albert Phillip, the then Governor moved into the Springfield House.
Today, the Springfield House commonly known as the Government House of St. Kitts & Nevis is the Official Residence of the Governor General of The Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis.