According to legend, the islet was made over the centuries by local seamen who kept an ancient oath after finding the icon of Virgin Mary and Child on the rock in the sea in 1452. The sailors, returning from a voyage, threw a rock into the Gulf. Over time, the island gradually emerged from the sea.
Our Lady of the Rocks is one of the two islands off the coast of Perast in the Bay of Kotor, Montenegro. The church houses a museum collection of great works of art by Italian painters. The interior is decorated with 68 paintings by Trip Kokolja, a 17th-century painter from Perast. Apart from the Roman Catholic Church which is the largest building, the island maintains, a small commercial shop and a small lighthouse.