A part of the University of Cambridge, it is considered one of the finest examples of late Perpendicular Gothic English architecture. The Chapel is an active house of worship, and home of the King’s College Choir.
The foundation stone of the Chapel was laid on the feast of St James, 25 July 1446, by the King Henry VI of England. The College having been begun in 1441.
The Chapel was built in phases by a succession of kings of England from 1446 to 1515, a period which spanned the Wars of the Roses and three subsequent decades. Reginald Ely was most likely the architect of the chapel of King’s College and worked there since Henry laid the first stone.