monastery

Sakya Monastery – The Great Tibetan Buddhist monastery and library in Sa’gya County

As the seat of the Sakya school of Tibetan Buddhism, it was founded in 1073, by Khön Könchok Gyalpo. The only surviving ancient building is the Lhakhang

Saint Catherine’s Monastery – The world’s oldest continually operating library in St Catherine

An Eastern Orthodox monastery is named after Catherine of Alexandria. The monastery is controlled by the autonomous Church of Sinai, part of the wider Greek Orthodox Church.

Ostrog Monastery – The pilgrimage place, high up in the large rock in Dabojevići

A monastery of the Serbian Orthodox Church is dedicated to Saint Basil of Ostrog, who was buried here. It was founded by Vasilije, the Metropolitan Bishop of

Vardzia – The cave monastery in Gogasheni

The main period of construction was the second half of the twelfth century. The caves stretch along the cliff for some five hundred meters and in up

Taung Kalat – A Buddhist monastery and temple complex in Mount Popa

The complex is built on a tall volcanic plug, and is one of several prominent spiritual sites  in the vicinity of nearby Mount Popa. This rock formation

The Monastery of Hozoviotissa – The spiritual jewel of Orthodox Christianity in Amorgos

Is the second oldest monastery in Greece, built in 1017 and renovated 1088, built by Alexius Comnenus I. It is literally hanging on the cliff side 300

Panagia Soumela – The Holy Monastery complex of Pontus in Maçka

Greek Orthodox monastery dedicated to the Virgin Mary within the Pontic Mountains. Nestled in a steep cliff at an altitude of about 1,200 meters facing the Altındere

Potala Palace – The greatness of faith and freedom in Lhasa

Sant Pere de Rodes – A former Benedictine monastery in El Port de la Selva

Located in the province of Girona, it was built on the slope of the Verdera Mountain, just below the Castle of Sant Verdera, which provided protection for

Le Mont-Saint-Michel – The remarkable medieval walled city in La Manche

The island is located about one kilometer off the country’s northwestern coast, at the mouth of the Couesnon River near Avranches. The total surface of the commune

Contact Us